Tuesday, April 27, 2010

check another one off

over the weekend i checked off a life accomplishment by running my first (and probably last) marathon.

26.2 miles of fun, kiddos.

despite some sage advice from David Thompson, i chose the Derby Festival Marathon as my target. i'll say here, for the record, that he was right. it is not a good place to do your first (or any, if you ask me) marathon. it's hilly, it's hot, the last 15 miles are like running through a ghost town.

regardless, i finished. it took me 4.5 hours and a lot of walking from miles 18 through 25. today, three days after finishing, i am finally starting to feel back to normal.

here are some snaps from my iPhone after the race.



Coury met me at miles 14, 20 and 26. it was awesome to have her, my friends and my family there to cheer me on. Couldn't have done it without them, no doubt.

Coury also ran a hundred yards or so with me in her rain boots!!! i couldn't believe it. i'll never forget the image of her and i running side by side, holding hands, her in artsy rain boots. unforgettable.



Stevie, my boss and good friend, ran the last .2 with me, encouraging me all the way. Earlier in the day she smoked the miniMarathon and hung around to cheer me on. she helped me train through the winter and spring and I couldn't have done it without her either. plus she let me write as much as i wanted about running, which i'm sure half the community got tired of reading about. thanks Stevie! (she also brought me that beer you see in both pictures. despite all the water and fruit I ate that day, the beer made me feel better than anything)

No comments: